Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
(Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, nut free, paleo)
Ice cream. Yum. Every time I see an ice cream cone I flashback to memories of looking through that glass at an array of flavors, colors, funny names that often left me wondering where the monkey or moose was. Then I would pick a flavor and beg my parents for 2 scoops because I couldn’t decide between chocolate peanut butter and mint chocolate chip. Ice cream is fun, and delicious, and really an almost iconic image of childhood and carefree days, and while we endorse healthy eating in our house at all times, it’s important to me that my children get to enjoy treats too! That’s why we love the paleo lifestyle. We can have it both ways! Here’s a healthy and super yummy version of my old favorite – and my childrens’ new favorite – mint chocolate chip ice cream. Go ahead, have your 2 scoops and don’t feel a bit guilty about it!
- 2 13.5oz cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4c maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp organic peppermint extract (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 2.5oz Eating Evolved chocolate bar (we use 85% )*, chopped into chips (eat the other 1/4 bar – duh).
- Combine first four ingredients in a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for three to five minutes.
- Add peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Allow the liquid to cool down completely. You can speed up the process by refrigerating.
- Pour into the ice-cream machine and churn following the manufacturer’s instructions. (** If you don’t have the patience to wait for it to turn to an ice cream consistency, this can be enjoyed as a milkshake as well)
- Add chocolate chips to ice cream during last 5 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately as a soft serve, or freeze for a couple of hours before serving.
- When frozen solid, allow the ice cream to thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving!