Our journey to a toxic- and chemical-free life is just that – a journey. We do the best we can, but in our modern environment and society it can be challenging. We have found a wonderful network of online bloggers and resources, and of people in the Philadelphia area that share our wellness philosophy, and that makes it much easier. Similar to nutrition and healthy eating, living a chemical-free lifestyle is easier when you have others to talk to about it and to share information and experiences with. I encourage you, as the readers, to comment or reach out to us at any point with your ideas, challenges, and anecdotal experiences too!
As part of our journey, I have gotten into making my own products for most things: skincare, toothpaste, sunscreen, bug spray, healing salves, etc., but honestly it gets to be a lot of work, and a lot of time! I can’t always keep up, and sometimes just don’t want to. It’s those times that I rely on store-bought products that I trust. And for me to trust them, they have to be pretty clean and pure, with ingredients that I know and understand. That said, I always encourage you to do your own research and find which products work best for you and your family! Here are some of our favorites:
Our Top Ten List of All-Natural Self Care Products You Will Want to Buy!
- Morocco Method Shampoo – This shampoo is like nothing you’ve ever tried before. Made of completely all-natural ingredients, with a base of clay (yes clay), your hair will be so much healthier and happier you will wonder what you’ve been doing all these years! I seriously could not believe how shiny my hair was from using it. And as someone who has had to wash her hair every single day for 30 years, I have been thrilled to now only need to wash my hair 2-3 times a week! Note, as with any all-natural shampoo method, there is a detox period that your hair will go through. This is a good thing, but can be frustrating while going through it. Please be sure to read the information on the website before trying the shampoo, especially if you’re new to the world of all-natural haircare!
- Earthpaste – We love this toothpaste. Another product made from clay (and essential oils), this toothpaste remineralizes, cleans and whitens, naturally.
- Branch Basics – Ok, so this isn’t exactly self-care, but cleaners can be a form of caring for yourself, right? We love Branch Basics products and their commitment to safe, all-natural ingredients. I’ve had my battles with all-natural cleaners and after years of frustration I was so happy to stumble upon these. They work amazing, smell amazing, and are sooooo clean. Unfortunately they are currently creating a new formula so you can’t buy from them at the moment, but when their new products come out in the fall I definitely recommend you try them!
- Coconut Oil – Skin care, hair care, oral hygiene and health, you name it. Here are some ways that we like to use this super product in our house!
- Dry Brush – Have you tried dry brushing yet? There are numerous health benefits to dry brushing, such as exfoliation, energy boosting, promoting lymphatic flow and health. In addition, it feels really good! I love this particular brush because it’s long enough to reach your back, but you can also remove the brush for other spots. Ahhhhhhh.
- Boo Boo Salve – This has been a life saver in our house. Our kids are constantly getting scrapes, cuts, you name it, and this works every time. It contains all natural ingredients like beeswax and essential oils, and doesn’t not sting, irritate, or contains anything I don’t approve of. We buy ours from the Herbiary, a local store with amazing natural herbs and oils – check them out!
- Dr Bronners – Dr Bronners castille soap is our go-to for use as a body wash and a shampoo. It can also be used as a hand soap or a shaving gel, and many people use it as a household cleaner as well!
- Boar Bristle Brush – This is a new discovery for me and my haircare regimen. Boar bristle brushing actually helps to distribute the scalps oils more evenly creating healthier and more beautiful and happy hair. It is also very gentle on the hair itself, resulting in less damage and breaking. I definitely encourage this paired with an all-natural shampoo for best results, and the very best haircare.
- Lacrosse Ball – This is a self-care item that everyone should have. It’s inexpensive and can do wonders for tight muscles and knots. Because of its hardness and density, it makes a great tool for massaging and relieving pain and tension.
- Epsom Salts – Epsom salts have numerous benefits. Use them for detox baths as an excuse to relax while ridding your body of unwanted toxins, or use them in a hot foot bath to soothe sore feet and to…yes, relax. Ahhhhh.
These are some of my very favorite all-natural self-care products, and I’m always experimenting with others. What are your favorite all-natural self-care products?