Top Ten Round-up: Holiday Treats! (Paleo-friendly, grain-free, refined sugar free)
Like me, many of you enjoy sweets and treats. Ok, pretty much all of you do. The mere thought of making it through the holidays without “goodies” makes me, well, a grinch. So I’m here to tell you that you can still have your favorite holiday treats without compromising your healthy eating and lifestyle! And in the spirit of giving, I am giving you my top ten holiday treat recipes that I scoured the internet for and slaved in the kitchen making, and tortured myself and my family with taste-testing. Okay that last part’s not true.
Just so you know I had criteria for my top ten:
3) Paleo, GF, refined SF
Let me know what you try and what you think! Here they are, in no particular order:
1) I absolutely love these little buttons! And so do the kids. For a holiday spin, add 3-4 drops food-grade organic peppermint oil! Coconut Butter Buttons
2) Here’s a classic chocolate fudge for you that is always a hit! Add a little holiday spirit with a few drops of peppermint oil! Coconut Cream Chocolate Walnut Fudge
3) This brings me back to holidays as a child. My mom made these every year (non-paleo version) and every year my brothers and I would complain because who wanted lemon when there was chocolate and caramel to be had? As an adult, however, I have much more appreciation for lemon and the natural subtleties of these bars! Lemon Bars
4) Who doesn’t love macaroons? Coconut Macaroons
5) Lara bars make such a healthy and yummy snack. I love this holiday spice version! Quinn helps me make these by using cookie cutters to make holiday shapes! Holiday Lara Bars
6) Speaking of cookie cutters, here’s a classic “sugar cookie” recipe that includes a recipe for frosting as well. Add a paleo twist to this holiday tradition with your kids! Sugar Cookies
7) What is the holiday season without the flavor of ginger and molasses? Here’s a delicious Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookie recipe to try!
8) Speaking of ginger, have you ever made ginger candy? Me neither. But now I’m going to! Honey Candied Ginger
9) Peppermint Bark. No further comment necessary.
10) Here’s another twist on a classic I grew up with! I love the idea of making coconut sweetened condensed milk to use! 7 Layer Bars, aka Magic Cookie Bars
Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!-Suzanne